Monday, May 16, 2011

Bloggers Quilt Festival - Artsy Trees Mini Quilt


Artsy Trees Mini Quilt

Hi to everyone who is visiting from the  Bloggers Quilt Festival! I am really loving seeing so many amazing quilts!


I loved this amazing Artsy paper scene made by Loretta Grayson when I first saw it a few years ago and although I have already made a paper version of it, have always wanted to try to recreate it in fabric. 
 So I began by building up the background, using a great wonky starburst tutorial by Darci @ Stitches and Scissors to make the sunset. Then I used some fusible webbing for the circles and did some wonky FMQ around them:
  Then the tree trunks (I used linen and Joel Dewberry's Aviary 2 woodgrain) were sewn down over the tops of the circles.
Lastly, I cut a few leaves which I just stitched down the centre of to give them some dimension. The finished mini quilt is about 15" x 16" and I have it hanging in the kitchen as it is so bright and cheerful! It makes me smile whenever I see it there as I had so much fun making it:)
 Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you are enjoying all of the wonderful quilts in the festival as much as I am!

Kirsten.

32 comments:

  1. Wow...this is fabulous!

    Cheers~
    Marti in San Diego

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt is beautiful.Love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just fabulous. I love your colors, the design, really everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Landscape quilts count among my favorites. This one is so bright and cheerful, it makes me smile too. thanks for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous! I love how you have done the trees!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's so gorgeous, you did a really great job!
    Kristina
    www.priscillacraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable little quilt and so bright! Hope to see more of your work following your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This piece is artful and creative. Good choice of fabric for the sun/sky. Lovely piece of art. --Julia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this quilt really caught my eye - what a neat way to make a background, I will have to try this! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is amazing mate!
    Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The vibrant colors for the sky really work. I've seen several quilts with that linen color as a background. I like it. The circles look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cool! And the way you share how you made it, I feel like even I could try something artsy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is great. I'm so hooked on trees lately.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love tree quilts and especially - artsy tree quilts!! this is great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's fabulous, thanks for sharing how you created it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. One of the things I like about looking at blogs is the things you find and the places you end up. Thank you for introducing me to Loretta Grayson's work and your interpretation of this painting is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. so inspiring! love love love LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful design - I can see that you had fun making it, and I just love that colourful sunset!

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a lovely piece! great technique :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  21. very awesome! love your quilting and the leaves. and great colors! sew pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great quilt! I love the colors and the sweet trees :) I don't have the guts to try an artsy quilt like this, but I love looking at them!
    And thanks for stopping by my BQF post!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful and so creative! I love nature and views in quilts! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  24. Incredible detail! Impressive. Saw your link at Pieceful Life. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This little quilt is wonderful : ) I have yet to try an art quilt....yours is beautiful! Thank you for linking up to LQM.

    ReplyDelete