My daughter does cooking at school and we often try out the recipes at home beforehand. She was assigned a "allergy free" recipe recently and chose to make this yummy Chicken parmigiana, which is both gluten and egg free.
1/2 cup olive oil
3 garlic cloves
1 kg vine ripened tomatoes, chopped
3/4 cup basil leaves, chopped
6 slices (250g) gluten-free bread, torn
1/2 cup gluten free plain flour
1/2 cup reduced fat plain yoghurt
4 (500g) chicken schnitzels (uncrumbed)
100g mozarella cheese, grated baby spinach leaves , to serve
1. Heat 2 table spoons oil in a non-stick frying pan over med-high heat. Add 2/3 garlic . Cook for 30 seconds then add tomato. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until tomatoes have just collasped. Stir in 1/2 cup basil
2. Process bread and 2 tablespoons flour until fine crumbs form. Add remaining basil. and process until finely chopped. Transfer mixture onto a large plate. Whisk yoghurt, remaining garlic and 2 tablespoons water together in a shallow bowl.
3. Coat 1 schnitzel lightly in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in yoghurt mixture, shaking off excess. Coat in bread mixture. Place on a plate and repeat with remaining schnitzels.
4. Heat remaining oil in the frying pan over medium heat. Cook chicken in batches for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden, adding more oil if needed.
5. Arrange chicken in a single layer in a baking tray , top with tomato mixture and sprinkle with mozarella cheese. Bake for a few minutes or until cheese is melted.
We served ours with pumpkin risoni (which may not be actually gluten free) but was still delicious. Our boys don't like the tomato topping so just had some pieces of the crumbed chicken in a salad wrap - not sure if it is the yoghurt in the coating but the chicken seems to stay really nice and tender.
Linking to Debbies "Tuesday at the Table" at A Quilters Table.