Saturday, January 26, 2013

On this Australia Day...

Happy Australia Day!! I really love seeing how Google chooses a theme for each day. 

Unlike last year when we had hardly any mangoes on our tree, this year it is brimming with them due to a drier winter and early spring.
We made Beef and Mango stirfry for dinner last week using our own Bowen mangoes (recipe here) and will definitely be making it again tonight as we have so many mangoes on the tree now. For dessert, these mini pavlovas with chocolate and lime syrup look delicious, as does this mango pavlova rollmango and passionfruit are such a perfect summery combination!  
We just have to try and pick them off the tree before the fruit bats/flying foxes and rainbow lorikeets eat them all - they are now working in pairs to finish them off even quicker! 
Our twin teenage sons are experts at climbing the tree now and they just knock the mangoes off the branches so we can catch them.
 The chore of picking up the half eaten ones laying around under the tree is not as much fun though!
Kirsten.

13 comments:

  1. Well I just want to move to Australia. Mangoes, pretty birds (I have a budgie), and fruit bats (they're so cute!) are three of my favorite things and you have them all in one tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how lovely - those recipes sound amazing! I will think of you as I shovel snow :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh so jealous that you have a mango tree! I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is almost enough to make me want to move to Australia! Mango trees and parrots? Too cute! If that were in my yard there'd be a black bear ripping the branches down to get at the fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just saw you won the RPQ giveaway... wow... expect to see something gorgeous coming along soon!
    Your parrots look cuter than our possums who ate all our grapes :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a lovely weekend, and enjoy those mangos...i'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Australia Day to you and your family Kirsten - you have made me hungry! The stir fry sounds super yummy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those photos! Mango tree in my garden - never even imagined it. Happy Australia Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried to grow a mango tree once but it did not get well. It is to cold her :( you are lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky you got them down before the rains have hit. We still have heaps on our tree. And it seems that whilst harvesting some last weekend, the sap got on me and I have a nasty rash on my arm and chest. Have a lovely wet Australia Day long weekend Kirsten.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The colours of the lorikeet are beautiful! So rich and saturated. I love mango but I don't think the tree would grow to well in SA; too dry I'd think. A good friend of mine lived in Nhulumbuy, Arnhem Land, for a few years with mango trees everywhere. she said you get sick of them and them falling and the mess and never ate them, and I was gobsmacked! How could she get over mango!! Here I am paying $2.99 each for them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The birds are just amazing! So pretty! We had a 20% off Australian wine sale here in Galway. Who can resist celebrating with offers like that?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm pretty sure that you have the coolest backyard of anyone I know! Mango trees and pretty birds can't be beat!

    ReplyDelete