Wednesday, March 13, 2013

WIP Wednesday - "Land of Oz" quilt

I was quite excited when I saw that Emerald was chosen for the Pantone colour of the year as this particular shade of green is one of my most favourite colours! 
I really wanted to make something for the Pantone 2013 Emerald challenge so firstly went to the hardware store to get some paint chips that were close to the right shade, then I went looking for fabrics  - I had quite a few greens in my stash already and was able to order a few more in on time. 
I really liked this Design seeds palette so chose grey for my neutral and have used yellow as the "other" colour as a few of the prints had some golden yellow in them also.
After making a Bee block in solids for Adrianne recently, I started wondering how the random HST's would look if some prints were also used amongst the solids so decided that I would make a bunch of HST's from the fabrics below.
The "emerald" fabrics I used were Amy Butler Lark (Souvineir in Mineral and Lemon, Sunglow in Jade), AMH Field Study (Minds Eye in Tambourine), Art Gallery Indie (Geisha in Teal), AG oval elements in Emerald Coast,  AG Rhapsodia (Temple Tiles Maya) , and DS Chicopee (Cross square in green) and Lizzy House Pearl Bracelet in Swiss Chard and Juniper along with some emerald solids, mainly Moda Bella in Jade
I am naming this quilt "Land of Oz": a reference to the Emerald City in the Wizard of Oz, and also for the green and gold that are Australias national colours.
This quit top measures about 40 x 60 inches - I just need to finish quilting and binding this by the 17th of March.
2013 Emerald Quilt Challenge
Linking to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced 
Kirsten

17 comments:

  1. Brilliant. Love the way that touch of yellow pops and brightens everything. Works so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! I like the addition of yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it Kirsten! It's Aussie without being in your face green and gold :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Emerald is such a pretty color, and you have picked out some great prints. I don't think that I knew Australia's colors were green and yellow! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Love the mix of greens you found!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so pretty- one of my favorite colors too- I just love this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The yellow does really work doesn't it? Perfect for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This is gorgeous! I never thought to go get paint chips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks so pretty. Perfect for Saint Patrick's Day right around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. such a gorgeous quilt - can't wait to see the finish :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow you HAVE been a busy HST maker! This is looking rather striking and so i hope you get time to quilt and bind these next few days. Nice to be next to you on the WIP line up today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your colors are wonderful! Good luck with the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great quilt and the perfect name! The Emerald City was so magical!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait to see the finished product. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Kirsten, lovely colours chosen for your quilt. I love design seeds as it is such a wealth of inspiration. I am your newest follower.
    Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

    ReplyDelete