Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Granny's pot holders

I have wanted to make the Granny Square block ever since I first saw them on Jolenes blog. And as I thought they would be great to use as a potholder.
I used a few Denyse Schmidt "Aunt Edna" fabrics to make the blocks, and used Traceys method of using setting Triangles for the corners - a lot less wastage, and no bias edges.
I had some Insul-bright from Spotlight and used this for the middle of the potholders - the secret is to place the shiny side down but it is still a bit slippery to sew with.
I just did straight line quilting and bound the potholders in matching pink and grey linen.
 They certainly brighten up my kitchen on such a dreary winters day here in Australia.
Linking to Sew Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations, Fabric Tuesday at Quiltstory, Little Quilt Monday with Elizabeth at Pieceful Life and  to Tuesday at the Summer Table with Debbie at A Quilters Table (buttons in left sidebar).
Kirsten.

12 comments:

  1. oh how cute are THEY!! Very cool and love your quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pot holders are cute! Love the fabrics you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great Kirsten! I love this block pattern, with the DS fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so cute! Granny squares looks really nice potholder sized. I love the colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey, those are so pretty! very good work. i hope you warm up over there :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the DS fabrics and I am a huge fan of straight line quilting! I'm not too good at FMQ yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your potholders are really cute- such a nice use of the granny square block!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are gorgeous! I would love to have two of these and it is a brilliant idea what to do with grannies if you don't want to make a full quilt. I should write this on my to-Do list :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous blocks turned potholders. Love how you quilted them too. This block is a classic and I love it. Fun to take an old block -- Grandmother's Pride -- and give it a new look. I'm seeing these pop up all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, they are wonderful! Great addition to your kitchen!

    Hugs,
    Tatyana

    ReplyDelete
  11. so cute! and I love that hot pink binding. that one won't ever go missing!

    ReplyDelete