Sunday, October 25, 2015

Tribal Woodlands quilt

This is my newly finished Tribal Woodlands quilt which is my entry into the Small Quilt Category of the 2015 Bloggers Quilt Festival.
I started making this quilt a few weeks ago when there was a QAL on IG (#chellepluscheleqal) using the Jeliquilts Plus quilt pattern.
I decided to make a baby quilt using some FQ of the Tribal Woodlands prints, along with a few coordinating fabrics from my stash.
I cut my pieces a little differently to the pattern by cutting long rectangular strips in place of the 3 squares for part of the "plus" design which made piecing much quicker..
Once I had it basted, I used the serpentine stitch on my sewing machine to quilt along the horizontal seam lines.
I wanted to try something new for this baby quilt by rounding the corners before binding after seeing this method used by Debbie from A Quilters Table recently, so I used a dinner plate as a template for trimming.
Then I made the binding by cutting straight grain binding for the long sides of the quilt, and joined in some shorter strips cut on the bias to go around the corners as indicated by the arrows in the photo below.
This quilt finished at 40 x 50" -  I really like how this has turned out and have plans to make more quilts like this soon!
Blogger's Quilt Festival - Fall 2015
Thanks again to Amy for hosting this wonderful festival of quilts!


Fresh Poppy Design
Also linking up with Fabric Tuesday @ Quilt Story.
2015 FAL at On the Windy Side

This project was on my FAL Q4 list for this year so also linking up with Adrianne @ On The Windy Side.


Kirsten.

7 comments:

  1. I loved it on IG and I love it now! Smart thinking cutting rectangles rather than having to piece squares! A lovely finish Kirsten!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your fabrics, very beautiful quilt
    Fun to visit blogs from BQF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a soft spot for plus quilts and this is a lovely example with a soothing colour scheme

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so smart to have bias around the corners and not just around the whole quilt! Very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love plus quilts and have made a ton. But I don't think I've seen one like this. great job! original.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great quilt! I love your cutting tip to do rectangles instead of 3 squares - not only is it faster to piece but it keeps those larger scale prints intact, which is a nice bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cute, I just love the plus quilts. You made a beautiful quilt

    ReplyDelete