Sunday, June 22, 2014

Cargo Duffle bag

When I signed up for the Red Letter Day class last month, I made a start on sewing up my Cargo Duffle so that I could get it finished in time to take on the trip with me. 
I got most of it done and all I had remaining to do was to put in a lining - I could still actually use the bag without it but I think a lining makes it look more "finished" as it hides all of the inside seams.
A lining isn't included in the original free pattern by Anna at Noodlehead but I found a link to a really good tutorial over at SkirtastopI also added in a zippered pocket and a slip pocket to the lining as they are handy for smaller items.
I received some of these wonderful Clover binding clips as a birthday present and used them to help attach the lining which made it so much easier to sew - I can see myself getting a lot of use from these, especially as I love making bags! 
So it is now totally finished and I really love how it has turned out. I used some fabrics from Juliana Horners range and my favourite black denim for the base and handles as it is so sturdy. 

This bag was really fun to make - there are lots of handy tips on Anna's blog as well as from Sophie on her blog at C'est La Vie as part of the Cargo Duffle sew alongI could actually fit in enough things for an overnight trip which surprised me too! 
This was the luggage lined up ready to pack in my car to take up to Brisbane: my Swoony Super tote, a Ruby braided bag, my new Cargo duffle, and my sewing machine fitted perfectly into the beautiful Aeroplane bag made by Kathy @ IamaCraftyKat for the last Sew Sew Modern swap #4. I did have to leave some room though as I managed to also squeeze in a trip to Ikea on my way up to Brisbane.
Fresh Poppy Design
Linking to fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story.


Finish Along 2014
And this project was on my list of Q2 finishes for the FAL hosted by Katy at The Littlest Thistle.
Kirsten.

9 comments:

  1. Oh yes, have to leave room for IKEA. What a great bag and I agree, a lining makes a huge difference. Might have to get myself some of those clover clips...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bag, with its pretty spotted lining, looks very professional! I've long admired that Juliana Horner range! What did you buy at Ikea- a turquoise trolley?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your bag! I have seen so many gorgeous bags being made but they scare me something bad. Great fabric choices! You have a gorgeous collection of bags to tote around and show off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Kirsten! It looks great and the lining finishes it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous line up of bags you have there! That cargo duffle looks like I might need one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great bunch of handmade bags for traveling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No disguise that you're a quilter when travelling :) the lining is super and I quite agree that it makes the whole bag seem more finished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love those wonder clips for bag making!

    ReplyDelete