Saturday, May 10, 2014

Under my Umbrella

For the past few weeks, I have been busy sewing up my projects for the Umbrella Prints Trimmings Competition and now they are all done. I discovered Umbrella Prints a few years ago when I came across a local shop stocking their fabrics and instantly fell in love with their beautiful prints and hemp fabrics.
I have tried to make the most of the Trimmings pack by making a few different projects from my original pack of Floating Worlds Trimmings.
Firstly is a table runner in the style of Sarahs lovely Stepping Stones runner. I cut a square from each of the larger pieces of prints which were in the Trimmings pack
It measures 42" long x 14" wide, and I have used a seeded cotton for the background, with a woodgrain print for the binding.
 Second up is a mini quilt using the mini Raincheck pattern from Camille Roskelly  @ Simplify which I thought was the perfect pattern for the "Umbrella" Prints fabrics:)
All of the Trimmings pieces are appliqued on and I have hand stitched each of the umbrella handles, then added some angled quilting to replicate falling rain. 
This mini measures only 8 x 10" and is now hanging in our dining room.
Next up is a shoulder bag for which I made a QAYG panel for the front pocket. along with some black denim for the rest of the exterior. 
.
It is lined with a cute elephant print and closes with a recessed zipper.
With all of the scraps I had left, I made a coordinating little zip purse/pouch which is lined it with some soft suede.
It is large enough to hold my mobile phone - our little underwater camera even fits in it nicely.
This was the Trimmings Pack which I started with - it really is amazing how far those small pieces will go!! 
I have already seen a few other beautiful entries for this competition - you can find more details on the Umbrella Prints blog . Thank you to Amy and Carly for holding this great comp again too.


Finish Along 2014
These projects were on my list for the Q2 FAL hosted by Katy at The Littlest Thistle.
Kirsten.

8 comments:

  1. oh I'm amazed what all you did with the 'scraps!' I especially like the runner - your quilting just makes it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kirsten, they are all fantastic! Your umbrella mini is my favorite, such a clever idea and it looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Great projects for the trimmings competition, I love them all :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All beautiful projects Kirsten! I love the umbrella mini, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woah! You're on fire! Amazing finishes - loving the table runner esp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely projects - umbrellas are so cute!

    Hugs,
    Tatyana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab collection of makes from one little selection of fabrics, good luck :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh Kirsten, what a fabulous lot of gorgeous things you have made!! I love everything, I think the umbrella mini and the bag are my favourites. Just so gorgeous, and a great use of the fabrics. xx

    ReplyDelete