Monday, April 15, 2013

Le Challenge - Geometrics

Le Challenge is a craft site created by Lucy and Nat which has a themed challenge each month. I used to do a lot of these "themed" challenges when I was doing scrapbooking a few years ago, and found they were a great way to create a project using different techniques or to try out something new.
So the first Le Challenge theme was "Geometrics" and there seems to be an abundance of wonderful geometric fabrics to choose from at the moment.
I had recently received a FQ of the Cloud 9 Micro Mod "Tick Tock" fabric in white as part of a giveaway prize, and decided that it was perfect to use for this project. 
The bag is the Sidekick tote pattern from Anna at Noodlehead and I have used the Tick Tock fabric for the front pocket. It matched well with the dark grey denim that I used for the main part of the bag, and some Denyse Schmidt Daisy Mae fabric for the pocket lining which also had a geometric feel.
I made a couple of minor alterations to the bag pattern:
1. Using a magnetic snap for the front pocket closure rather than velcro - an idea I saw from Jennifer here
2. Adding in an internal zip pocket as well as the open pocket as I prefer to keep my phone more secure I used a matching DS print for the inside of the zip pocket .
I really like the recessed zipper too - this is such a useful bag and I can fit quite a lot into it including a folded umbrella, diary, purse, phone, sunglasses...
Linking up to Le Challenge, and looking forward to what the next months challenge will be.
Le Challenge
Also linking to Fabric Tuesday at Quiltstory.

Fresh Poppy Design
Kirsten.

23 comments:

  1. Great job Kirsten! Good luck in Le Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your bag Kirsten and I love the Micro Mod fabric you used - I have to buy some...it would make a wonderful backing or binding fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great use of the geometric print :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome bag Kirsten, something I'd definitely use. All the time :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the bag! It is a great pattern! Thanks for sharing on le challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab bag, and good ideas on those small modifications!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Far out Kirsten, that's a gorgeous bag - great fabric choices. You've been so clever with your techniques too - love the pockets and the recessed zip. You'll be loving using it, and I hope you get lots of people asking you where you bought it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the fabric combinations you used. Now, would you please come visit and do some bag making teaching to me?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous bag! The fabrics are amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So gorgeous! I love your choice of fabrics and it looks like a great pattern! Thanks for linking up to Le Challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely bag! The colors are great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a neat idea! You're the second person I've read who has done this challenge! Your bag is great! Love the fabric combinations you've used and that you're talented enough to adapt the pattern! Which amazes me and leaves me in awe of people who sew bags and clothing! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute bag! Great fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Turned out great! Love the fabrics you chose and all the pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely and useful bag, and the pocket looks great with this fabric!

    Hugs,
    Tatyana

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful bag, love the colours you chose too, just became a follower too :-)

    ReplyDelete