Tuesday, December 9, 2014

"Chicopee" Weekender bag

I went away last weekend and got to use my Amy Butler Weekender Travel bag for the first time! I actually finished this bag a little while ago but just realised I hadn't blogged about it all.
The bag was made mainly from my Chicopee scraps leftover from my feathers quilt -  I even used the off cuts from the back of the quilt for the zip panel.
I made a smaller feather from the Anna Maria Horner pattern for the front pocket and used one of the fabulous panels from Cat and Vee for the other side
I made these small plus blocks to use as the pockets for my Weekender Bag, using the measurements by Rachael (Wooden Spoon) on flickr.
The only modification I made to the Weekender bag was to make the straps longer so they were about 60" (which was the WOF of the denim) rather than the 48" in the pattern. This was my first time making piping and it wasn't nearly as tricky as I thought it would be...
But I did manage to go use up a whole pack of denim needles sewing up this bag as there are quite a few layers to get through!
As well as the Weekender bag support group on flickr, there are plenty of great tips in the Weekender sew-along hosted by Love by Hand,  Modern Handcraft  and Chrissy at Sew Lux (who BTW made the fabulous version Camille had on her trip out here to Australia recently).
Fresh Poppy Design

Linking up with Fabric Tuesday @ Quiltstory.
Finish Along 2014
And this project was also on my Q4 FAL list with the Finish - along hosted by Katy @ The Littlest Thistle.
Kirsten.

7 comments:

  1. Nice work, and great to see cat and vee's cockatoo! Do you like the size of the bag - is it really good for a weekender?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bag is gorgeous! You really know how to make your bags look professionally made Kirsten!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful bag! I love the unique details you put into yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks fab, and love your Cat & Vee birdie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Kirsten! Love the Cat & Vee panel, and of course, the plusses! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome bag! You must have loved toting that around. So stylish and unique!

    ReplyDelete