Saturday, September 13, 2014

A Jungle Avenue Sew Together Bag

A few weeks ago, Clair (clairsdestash on IG) posted some photos of the gorgeous Art Gallery "Jungle Avenue" fabrics which she also has available from an online store.
I was really keen to try out the very popular Sew Together bag pattern by Sew Demented and thought these fabrics would be perfect for this project. Clair very kindly cut the amounts of fabric I needed and sent them to me that week - it is nice to find local sellers as sometimes it takes weeks for packages to arrive from overseas.
I bought some zips to match the colourful fabrics and cut out the panels to make the bag. I wanted to use my favourite print from the collection (Elephant Skyline) as the outside of the STB. All of the other prints were used for the inside of the STB and the pocket linings, with the B&W "Dotted Boulevard" print for the binding.
This was such a fun project to do and I absolutely love how it has turned out - I had been a bit worried about the zipper installation but it was really quite straightforward.
I did have a bit of trouble with the binding which I ended up deciding to handstitch down as it looked much neater that way. 
If you are going to make one of these Sew Together Bags (and you should because they are fabulous!) then I would recommend checking out the Quilt Barn sew along which has plenty of great pictures and tips for each stage. There is also a flickr group here.
 Linking up with Fabric Tuesday at Quiltstory.


Fresh Poppy Design
Kirsten.

8 comments:

  1. Great to see your version Kirsten! What a lovely use of your new fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great way to show off a good half-line of fabrics. I love your needle felt square and the little pin cushion is darling - is that part of the pattern or did you install it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cute!! Hope you are posting it on IG as Sara has a jungle ave giveaway going on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a fab job, love your fabric choices! It's a great pattern for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love sew together bags! This is a most excellent fabric choice for them! Nice work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these zippered pouches! Yours looks great and I am sure it will be well used.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is such a great little bag. i am getting closer and closer to jumping in and making my own

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely job! I have a hoarded bundle of Jungle Avenue that I still haven't broken into

    ReplyDelete