Sunday, September 11, 2016

Canyon Patchwork Swoon

As soon as I saw the gorgeous colours in Kate Spains new Canyon fabric, I knew that it would be just perfect to use in a quilt for my daughter.
I bought a jelly roll from my LQS and decided to make a "Patchwork Swoon" quilt as the original Swoon pattern is one of my all time favourite designs.
As usual, Camilles patterns go together quite easily - a combination of strip piecing and clever pressing means that most of the seams nest together neatly.
The hardest part for me was trying to get a good "random" mix of colours and patterns in each of the 16 patch blocks.
I had a slight disaster towards the end - I like to use steam for my final press and when I refilled the water it came out all brown and messy on one of the white sections in the middle of the quilt (of course!!!).
But through my tears of frustration, I was able to quickly unpick and resew another piece of white to remake the HST and stitch it all back together again.
And the next day I went out and bought a new iron...
I sent the quilt to be quilted by Karen at my LQS Rainbow Patchwork and she used a pattern called "Gingersnap"  which was a fun mix of circles and swirly loops. 
The final borders are slightly wider on my quilt so it finished at 75" rather than the 72" in the original pattern so it will be just a little bigger for a Queen sized bed.
The backing is a Carolyn Friedlander widescreen in grey which matched the Canyon Serape Aloe binding nicely.
Happy 21st to my gorgeous girl!!
Linking up with Fabric Tuesday @ Quiltstory.
Fresh Poppy Design
This project was on my FAL Q3 list for this year so linking up with the 2016 FAL team.
2016 FAL
Kirsten.

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a great finish Kirsten! Happy birthday to your beautiful daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done 3 swoon quilts and I hadn't seen this version. It is wonderful. Love the patches. Great job showing your iron who was actually in charge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt for a beautiful girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for a beautiful FAL finish, and a Swoon no less! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful quilt, for a beautiful daughter. I love the Swoon pattern but have never made one. This maybe the one that gets added to my one day list.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing's better than a large swoon! Lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the colors in this. Lucky birthday girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is lovely! Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2016 global FAL hosts

    ReplyDelete