Saturday, January 3, 2015

Elephant pillow

My first finish for 2015 is a bright Elephant pillow using a paper pieced block I made a few months ago . 

I had tested this block for Juliet @ Tartan Kiwi  and still had the block sitting here but wanted to make it into something...


After seeing the Dala Horse pillows that Debbie @ A Quilters Table had made, I decided to add similar borders to make it into a pillow which ended up at about 16" square.

Then, I just did a simple grid pattern and after marking out the first line of a big "x" through the centre with my hera marker, just lined the sewing foot up against the previously quilted line for each new row of quilting.
This was the first project I quilted on my new sewing machine that hubby bought me for Christmas
I still need to work out the setting for a 1/4 inch seam and remember seeing a tutorial on how to do it a while ago but I need to find it again and Pin it!

So this was the final project on my 2014 Q4 FAL list - will post about it all tomorrow!  
Finish Along 2014
Linking up with Katy @ The Littlest Thistle for the Q4 FAL list with the 2014 Finish - along. 

Fresh Poppy Design
And also with Fabric Tuesday over @ Quiltstory.
Kirsten.

7 comments:

  1. Love the DS fabric placement - especially the ear. Well done on a finish so early in the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quilting that you used here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute. I love how you finished it off! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your pillow. I have bought this pattern and hope to make it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks great x my friend is always after elephant themed patterns .. so thanks for the info too x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this cushion - the elephant is perfect and I love the colour palette :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the quilting in this too. I'm not usually a fan of paper pieced pictures. All the seams distract me from the overall picture, but I think your quilting helps to minimize this effect. I really like this cushion. My Mum would love it! She is a fan of all elephant paraphernalia.

    ReplyDelete