Friday, March 14, 2014

Pantone Radiant Orchid "Soft kitty" pillow

The linky for the Pantone Radiant Orchid challenge opens today and this is my entry for the "mini" category. 
I based my fabric selection around the central print which is from Aneela Hoey's new "Hello Petal" range and has some very cute kitties on it hence the name "Soft Kitty".  
Also, being a bit of a science nerd myself, one of my favourite TV shows is The Big Bang Theory - some of you may also recognize the reference to the song which Penny sings to Sheldon when he is ill. 
I have quilted this pillow in dense straight lines radiating out from the centre - I thought this was kind of appropriate for the "radiant" orchid challenge:) 
I used a King Tut pinky plum coloured thread for the dense quilting which gives the pillow a great texture.
I bought this lovely cream and purpley spotted fabric the other day and it was just perfect for the backing.
Along with a tiny spotted print for the binding.
This was my first time doing a hidden zip in the back of the pillow -  I will definitely be using this technique again. 
 I haven't really been a pink or purple fan since I was about 7 years old so using these colours was quite a challenge to me but I have really enjoyed sewing with them for a change.
And my very own soft kitty Simba even made a cameo appearance for the pillow photoshoot:)
2014 Pantone Quilt Challenge: Radiant Orchid

Stats:
Pattern: Scrappy Swoon originally by Bonnie and Camille
Size: 20 inches
Fabrics: Denyse Schmidt (Chicopee, Hope Valley), Lizzy House (Hello Pilgrims Jewels in Purple), Anna Maria Horner (Field Study), Sandi Henderson (Meadowsweet- Henna garden in Raspberry), shot cottons (Fuschia, Aubergine and Plum), Aneela Hoey (Hello Petal: All my Kitties - Sweetie) and a Prima solid in Ivory.
Quilting: Straight lines using King Tut thread colour #952 

Linking up to the Pantone Radiant Orchid challenge hosted by Adrianne @ On the Windy Side, and Anne @ Play Crafts, in the flickr group and also to Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story.
Finish Along 2014
This project was also on my FAL Q1 list so I am linking up with Katy @ The Littlest Thistle.
Kirsten.

23 comments:

  1. so pretty - love the little kitties :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your soft Simba cushion is radiant! You have combined your colours beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is beautiful! I am also envious of your beautiful surroundings, looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is lovely. I love the swoon block made into a cushion. I love the binding fabric - the colour is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! And I love the name... I'm a big fan of The Big Bang! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh nice! You know I love the pattern, and it's super pretty in your radiant orchid. Sweet Kitty too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh I love this fabric combination! Now that song is stuck in my head Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done! Good luck for the challenge, I'm looking forward to seeing all the entries.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a great job! I'd have really struggled to pull that many 'orchid' colours, as I'm also not a purple or pink fan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your cushion and it's such a perfect name you've chosen for it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's lovely. I especially like how you quilted it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It turned out beautiful! And it makes a very nice pillow cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous finish, perfect use of color and your name choice is a total winner!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful and elegant pillow, love the colours :)

    Hugs,
    Tatyana

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww, Simba! Your pillow is really really gorgeous - I think I might have to make something similar. Love the texture of the quilting, the binding, everything is fab! Thanks for playing along with the Challenge! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your pillow and kitty are so adorable!
    me too in love with Hello Petal fabric line!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous Pillow! I love your color/fabric choices and your cute name! Big Bang is a hit at my house. ;) And your radiating quilting is super cool.
    - Katelyn @ Sing While Crafting

    ReplyDelete
  18. Eeee the kitties! Soo adorable. :D I love all the shades of purple you used with this, they complement the shape of the design very well! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You can't go wrong with a scrappy swoon, and then when you add adorable kitties, gosh, it's just wonderful :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I adore the cushion! I have the Hello Petal layer cake. I just adored the fabrics in it. Big Bang Theory is one of my favourites too. My husband is a bit of a Science geek, used to be a mech engineer and is now a science teacher, and his brother is more so. We giggle that my BIL is kinda like Sheldon.

    ReplyDelete