Sunday, August 18, 2013

Tripping Along with Denyse

Although it is still officially winter here, it is a lovely warm day here in Australia - perfect for some finished quilt photos...
 I managed to convince DH to hold this one up for me - he actually asked me if it was an "old" quilt as it has more of a traditional patchwork look about it.
 And I think that is why this quilt is so appealing - using modern fabrics in this style gives it such a vintage retro feel.
 I used one of my favourite DS prints from Aunt Edna on the back - so with the 180 strips for the trip along blocks, the backing and binding make it up to 182 different fabrics in this quilt.
 It was quilted in a cross hatch grid which was quite easy to do - I didn't mark out my lines but just eyeballed them as I quilted.
I really love how this has turned out and I think it is a pattern that I would definitely make again.
Quilt Stats-
Pattern: Scrappy Trip Around the World tutorial from Quiltville Quips and Snips here
Size: Lap Size - 60x72"
Quilting: Straight line quilting in a cross hatch grid pattern
Fabrics:180 different strips of Denyse Schmidt fabrics from Picnic and Fairgrounds, Winding Roads, Daisy Mae, Sugar Creek, Aunt Edna, Richmond, Chicopee, Flea Market Fancy, Meadowlark, Hope Valley, Katie Jump Rope, and Fancy Free.
Backing: DS Aunt Edna Multi leaf on Mini Dot Orange
Binding: DS Aunt Edna Multi dot Burgundy
This quilt was on my to-do list for the 3rd quarter FAL hosted  by Leanne @ She Can Quilt.


Fresh Poppy Design
Linking to Fabric Tuesday at Quiltstory.
Kirsten.

16 comments:

  1. It lovely! and your DH did a great job.....grin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I kind of wish my scrappy trip along was more "pulled together" like yours, sticking to all one designer or colour palette. But I did learn that's what I like (and still used up lots of scraps)! Yours is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a great finish Kirsten! Fancy using 182 different fabrics- that's a feat in itself! Gotta love the comments that come out of the mouths of our DHs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks wonderful! I love the colours and prints, they have lent themselves so well to this traditional design. Your husband is about as observant as mine.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks fabulous, I think you may have finally tempted me to make one. I'm amazed at you using over 180 different fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's absolutely fabulous! Hard to believe DS has that many fabrics though, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, I love it! Especially all the DS fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woo hoo! It looks amazing! The colors are absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful quilt, Kirsten. And I so love the layout you chose, very pretty and so wonderfully vintage looking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! That is a great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic! I especially love the print you've used on the back. And wow, you've done a good job collecting all the Denyse Schmidt prints!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's stunning!! It makes me want to go home and get on with my scrappy tripalong right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these quilts. Doesn't matter how many times I see them, they make me smile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks stunning. And he's right, it does have a vintage look about it! Half your luck with the weather. SA has just shivered through two really cold wet weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This turned out so lovely!! Congrats on a great finish!

    ReplyDelete