Saturday, March 9, 2013

Refractatorium pillow

When I first saw that we were making the Refractatorium blocks designed by Jane at Want it, Need it, Quilt it for the AusModBee, I had a minor panic attack. They are an amazing block but looked so complicated to make - I never thought that I could manage to do a decent job for Jane so I took a deep breath and with Lorenas help, made a trial block  to see how it all came together.
I used similar black and white fabrics to what Jane had sent us for her blocks as her colour placement was so effective, and grabbed a few scraps of the emerald fabrics that were still laying on the table from when I had been working on my "Land of Oz" quilt (more on that one soon ...)
And rather than see this cool block go to waste, I decided to add a border in an emerald solid so that I could make it into a 16 " pillow. 
I just did a bit of stitch-in-the-ditch quilting around a few of the designs on the pillow and used some black and white spot fabric for binding.
Stats:
Pattern: Refractatorium Block designed by Jane at Want it, Need it, Quilt it.
Size: 16 inch square
Fabrics: Kaffe Fassett Shot cotton in Oxford Pool, Art Gallery: Geisha in Bliss from Indie and Oval Elements in Emerald Coast, Madrona Road Memoir in Charcoal, Perch Text  from Timeless Treasures, Heath in Metal by Alexander Henry, Black & white script and newspaper prints (from Spotlight), and black and white dot (unknown).
2013 Emerald Quilt Challenge 
I am entering this pillow into the Pantone 2013 Emerald challenge "mini's" section.

Fresh Poppy Design
Linking up with Fabric Tuesday at Quiltstory.
Kirsten.

21 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous job you did! And the emerald really sets off the black and white fabrics. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just beautiful!! I like it ALOT!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this block on Instagram isn't is Fabulous...Love the Fabrics & Colours you have used looks Great!
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so sophisticated Kirsten! I'm glad you didn't let this test block go to waste. Are you using it or gifting it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the spots! You have done a great job of the paper piecing! There will be no stopping you now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've done such an amazing job on it Kirsten. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, it's awesome! Good luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your pillow! The fabrics are a great compliment to that block pattern. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's fabulous, love the black and white spots. I don't think you'll have any trouble at all in making more of those blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great entry! Your fabric placement works so well in the block. I love those narrow rows of green dots forming the star.

    ReplyDelete
  11. gorgeous Kirsten, I love it so much, the colours just pop against the black and white!! Good luck for the Pantone competition!.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well it turned out beautiful! Seriously, I want to go try my hand at one now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think you had any need to worry over this block, you did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh it's perfect for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It makes a lovely cushion! The colour combination is great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this pattern and the print/color choices. Good luck in the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is fabulous. You have my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so amazingly gorgeous I don't know what else to say. Beautiful, beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete