Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Melba Magpie pillow & Happy Australia Day!

On this Australia Day, I have a very Aussie finish using "Melba" which is a new fabric range by Emma Jean Jansen with designs inspired by the trams and suburbs of Melbourne along with native Australian flowers and birds.
As soon as I saw the magpie fabric, I thought of my neighbours who are AFL fans and with their surname being Collingwood, they are of course Collingwood supporters!
The magpie is the team emblem for the Collingwood Football Club so I chose the Magpie and Melbourne suburbs fabric along with a few grey solids for the pillow.
Because I especially wanted to feature the magpie print, I made a smaller version of one of the "Melways" quilt blocks for the pillow.
The quilting is fairly simple - mainly a few straight lines echoing the main blocks and diagonally through the centre.
And bound it in a B&W stripe similar to the one in the jerseys the Collingwood AFL players wear. 
PS: I am Victorian by birth but am a Richmond "Tigers" supporter so I have gifted this pillow to my lovely neighbours as a thank you as they are always happy to look after my kitty Simba when we are away.
Fresh Poppy Design
Linking up with Fabric Tuesday @ Quiltstory
2016 FAL
This was on my FAL Q1 list for this year so linking up with the 2016 FAL team.
Kirsten.

3 comments:

  1. My deepest condolences to your friends for being Collingwood supporters (Carn the Swannies). But I do love this cushion. Great use of the fabric and the striped binding is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking I really need to pull out the FQB I have of this and sew something. Your cushion looks fantastic Kirsten. PS - That Kirsty should remember that she has friends who are Collingwood supporters :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out lovely! Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2016 global FAL hosts. Be sure and add a link to your Q1 list to this post to be eligible for prizes! ;-)

    ReplyDelete