Friday, March 21, 2014

Pantone challenge: Berry Orchard quilt

This quilt is my entry to the "Quilts" section of the Pantone Radiant Orchid challenge. 
The rich colours of the shot cottons made me think of strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries so I have called this quilt "Berry Orchard"
I made it using the Giant starburst pattern from Megan @ Canoe Ridge Creations which she very kindly posted as a QAL.
This quilt combines a few of my favourite things about quilting - shot cottons, dense quilting with variegated thread and of course the "big block" design.
The 4 coloured fabrics in this quilt are beautifully soft shot cottons and I have used them with a cream solid background.
The backing is a tone on tone chevron print - I bought quite a bit of this backing as I really love it!
Now I have  a matching set.
And it has all been kitty approved too:) 

Stats:
Pattern: Giant Starburst by Megan at Canoe Ridge Creations
Size : 60" square
Fabrics: Shot cottons in Ink, Fuschia, Garnet and Aubergine; Prima solid in Ivory.
Quilting: dense straight lines,Gutermann variegated thread #9969 

Linking to the Pantone Radiant Orchid challenge hosted by Adrianne @ On the Windy Side and Anne @ Play Crafts, and also in the flickr group.
Kirsten.

10 comments:

  1. It's really beautiful! You picked the perfect name too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely LOVE both of your entries. Swoon! I hope this means that you're now more comfortable spending time on the purple-side. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And don't they match beautifully? And I agree wit Lucy- the name suits it 'berry' well! Love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so beautiful. i am always so stunned at how gorgeous solids are....these colors are perfection

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another stunner from you, Kirsten. The shot cottons are gorgeous in this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic Kirsten. I love the look of a large, single block quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your color choices on this, they are gorgeous together! The quilting adds a lot of movement and ties the whole thing together beautifully. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic - don't both your makes good great together?! Your quilt definitely makes me think of berries too - really really love the quilting on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Somehow I missed seeing this earlier - it's so striking!

    ReplyDelete