Tuesday, October 16, 2012

DS mini quilt - Granny squares

I have a second partner in the DS mini quilt swap, and this time I decided to use Jolenes tutorial again to make some Granny squares using some fabrics and colours that she seems to like.
I handstitched around each block in matching thread whilst watching TV the other night, and bound it in the same ivory solid that was used for the background.
In order to make 4 granny square blocks, I downsized the size of the squares to 2 inches rather than the 2.5 inches in the original pattern so these blocks ended up at just over 7 inches each, with the mini quilt finishing at about 16.5 inches square.
I made a "practice" block to check out the finished size, which was the perfect size to make into a matching mug rug to send along as well. The backing fabric is the same floral as I used for the mini quilt.


I am posting this package off later today and hopefully it wont take too long to reach my partner.
Linking to Fabric Tuesday at Quiltstory (button in left sidebar).
Kirsten.

9 comments:

  1. Your quilt is lovely!! I really like your color combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! The colours together are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt turned out really cute! I like the little smaller size of the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always perfect use of DS. Lucky secret partner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super finish! Super lucky partner :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful blocks and a great fabric choice as well. Your swap partner will love it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely granny squares quilt!

    Hugs,
    Tatyana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt looks fabulous, Kirsten! And how fun to include the matching mug rug!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool, like the hand quilting round the edges

    ReplyDelete