Monday, November 10, 2014

"Outlander" Nova Tote

One of my favourite book series is "Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon. I didn't study much history at school as I was a bit of a science nerd so I enjoy reading historical novels - even ones with time travel through the stones:) I first discovered this series over 16 years ago and now "Outlander" has finally been made into a TV series - which was amazing BTW!  The costuming in particular is just stunning, as is the Scottish scenery.
Back then I discovered that a few hours from where I live, there is a place called Glen Innes which is home to the Australian Standing Stone monument like the ones in the books. 
The series begins with "Outlander" (which was also released as "Cross Stitch" over here) and the main storyline is based around Scottish Highlanders in the 18th century, particularly Clan Fraser. 
Anyway, back to the tote bag....when I saw this gorgeous Tula Pink Moonshine "Deer Me" fabric, I couldn't help thinking of the Frasers of Lovat crest which has a deers head and I really wanted to use it as the feature fabric in the new "Nova Tote" pattern by Three Owls Handmade.
I paired the deer with some Anna Maria Horners' Mary Thistle in Seaweed from her "Pretty Potent" range to continue the Scottish theme...
On the inside I used another piece of the "Deer Me" print for a  slip pocket, and some Cloud 9 Dragonfly fabric for an additional gathered pocket as the second book in the series is titled "Dragonfly In Amber". Even the lining has some significance as the grey print resembles the surface of the "Standing stones".
I used my favourite black denim for the main part of the bag, and a bright lime solid for the binding as it went so well with both of the prints.
So now I have a very special bag to carry all my books around in:)   And if you get a chance to see the TV series or read the books, I thoroughly recommend them! The TV series is now on hold until April next year so I am currently re-reading all of the books for about the 4th time.
Linking up with the 2014 Purse Palooza hosted by Sara at Sew Sweetness,
Fresh Poppy Design
And also with Fabric Tuesday @ Quilt Story.
Finish Along 2014
And this project was also on my Q4 FAL list hosted by Katy @ The LIttlest Thistle.
Kirsten.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE Outlander! This bag is so great and I love how you incorporated so much of the series! I agree, the TV series is awesome. I'm reading Voyager right now. Would you recommend the John Grey books too? I know they are coming up and I'm not sure if I should read them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE THIS xxx I tried SO hard to read Written In My Own Hearts Blood .... SLOWLY .. but no luck! will be looking out for "themed" fabrics to make a bag with the series in mind x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have loved the first four books, and read them many times. Hope the show comes to NZ TV sometime soon. The bag looks great by the way, very clever how you have themed your fabrics.

    ReplyDelete