Saturday, January 19, 2013

Sew Sew Modern swap

I joined the Sew Sew Modern swap back in about September last year, thinking that with the due date in late January that there was plenty of time to make something for my partner - but the deadline is sneaking up very fast now so I have decided to go ahead and make a tote bag which was my partners first choice.
This is the 241 tote pattern from Anna at  Noodlehead which I have made a few times previously.  The patchwork panel was fun to make but as I put a layer of batting between the fabric and the interfacing before quilting, was a bit of a struggle to sew together as it was quite bulky.
I put a print on the other side - I think it would have been almost impossible to sew the bag together if I had quilted both panels!
And I used a matching aqua linen for the pockets, along with some natural linen for the sides and strap, and just made a small slip pocket for the inside of the bag..
I really hope my partner likes this, and I just need to make a small coordinating item now ready to post next week.
Linking to Friday Felicities and to Fabric Tuesday at Quiltstory.
Kirsten.

16 comments:

  1. kirsten,
    my dear, you make a fantastic project..i love ur bag very much..tq for sharing and congratulation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your partner will love this! The pieced side is lovely! ( I find when I have the potential of lots of layers that it helps to make, say the batting a quarter of an inch smaller all the way round. It is still quilted into the whole, but there is then less bulk in the joining seam. This may help next time!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your partner will be over the moon. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so pretty, love the patchwork and the colors are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this pattern! The patchwork panel is brilliant! What fabric line is the linen from? The aqua is so pretty , and I could use a natural color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes it's lovely - your partner will be thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous and lovely colours...thanks from the tip, I'm hoping to make a 241 soon and it's handy to know these things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this is beautiful, Kirsten! Thanks for the tip about the thickness of layers when you piece/quilt that front panel. I was thinking about doing that when I get around to making this pattern. Thanks so much for linking up to Friday Felicities!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sure she's going to love it! If not, just send it on up here :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous bag Kirsten - I really love the patchwork panel! That does it, I HAVE to buy this pattern...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Colours are fantastic! Beautiful bag - I'm sure your partner will love it!

    Hugs,
    Tatyana

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty patchwork bag!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely bag. I'm sure your partner is going to love it!
    Come check out my blog if you get a chance
    Leigh x
    http://www.thesewingdivaandherreluctantmodels.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete