Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Le Challenge #2 - Birdie Sling

The challenge for the May at Le Challenge  was "Wings" which was a fabulous theme as it can be interpreted in so many ways! So with thoughts of all types of winged creatures flying around my head including butterflies, owls, feathers and even aeroplanes, I finally decided on sewing a pattern that I have wanted to make for quite a while now, but which has only recently become available as a PDF download.
And that was the Amy Butler "Birdie Sling" bag - when I first started quilting a few years ago, I spotted a few of Amy's fabrics at our LQS and fell in love with her designs, so it was only appropriate that I use some of her fabrics for this bag.
I finally decided on a couple of the Soul Blossoms fabrics - the Delhi Blooms in Rose for the main part of the bag, and the Peacock feathers in Sea Glass for the band and handles. 
I had some pale pink homespun which I used for the lining, and inside pocket. I also added in a zipper pocket as I like having a secure place for my phone, and a fabric tab for a key fob as this is quite a large bag and they would get lost in there quite easily. I really enjoyed making this bag and it came together quite easily - it will be perfect for a lovely summer beach bag.
Le Challenge
Linking up with Lucy and Nat at Le Challenge, and with Fabric Tuesday at Quiltstory.


Fresh Poppy Design
Kirsten.

12 comments:

  1. Great bag! Gotta have the zipper pockets for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made this bag. It really is quite big isn't it - wish I'd thought of adding a zipper and key fob tab - great idea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous bag and great idea for Le Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great bag! I thought too long and procrastinated- didn't get past the planning stage this month! Looking forward to seeing the next theme though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a lovely bag and I too LOVE Amy Butler.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant project for Le Challenge, and I love those personal touches such as the key fob.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Gorgeous fabrics and great way of interpreting the theme, I'd not seen this bag. Thanks for linking up to Le Challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've created a beautifully bright and delightful bag! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Birdie sling? *groan* :o) Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great interpretation of the theme! Thanks for linking up to le challenge!

    ReplyDelete