Sunday, September 25, 2016

Christmas Lane quilt

With only 3 months until Christmas, now is the perfect time to be thinking about seasonal decor. This is my version of the "Christmas Lane" quilt by Elaine (@elaine.summercrafter on IG) that I pattern tested for her earlier this year and which can now be purchased here.
Being in Australia, it is summer at Christmas time so quilts are not often used, but we do have "Christmas in July" so a themed quilt is perfect for our winter.
I chose one of my favourite fabric ranges to use - Blitzen by Basic Grey as I loved the minty greens with the contrasting deep red and soft browns.
The quilt features a holly and berries border along with some cute picket fences inbetween the houses.
The pattern was easy to follow and fairly straightforward to sew as it is mainly chain pieced.
And I had fun selecting prints for the various "decorations" in the houses along the lane. 
The decorations in the houses include baubles, trees, wreaths, gifts and peppermint candies, with a strips of lights across each one.
I used the Serpentine stitch again to quilt along the horizontal seams about every 2 inches so it is still lovely and soft. 
The backing was pieced using one of the leftover tree blocks and the Britten Nummer fabric from Ikea. 
And my little quilt inspector even went for a stroll along the Christmas Lane...:)
Fresh Poppy Design
Linking up with Fabric Tuesday @ Quiltstory.
Kirsten.

5 comments:

  1. That is a lovely quilt, and one of my favourite Christmas fabric ranges - especially love the picket fence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Julie- the picket fence is perfect in the Christmas lane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I love it Kirsten - it's really stunning. The fabrics are gorgeous. I have a bundle of Christmas fabrics from NZ that don't really fit the UK Christmas but I have finally cut into them and, hopefully, it'll be done for this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen Thanks so much for testing! Your quilt is lovely and perfect for Christmas in July which is much how Christmas is for us here in the Florida in the US. Thanks for this sweet post :) and now I can follow your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful holiday quilt! I love the little houses and fences !!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete