Monday, January 14, 2013

Pattern testing!

Late last year,  I saw a gorgeous quilt made by the lovely Jessica who has a blog @ Sew Crafty Jess. She called it Lucky Square and made it in one of my favourite fabrics  (Chicopee) which looks stunning in this design against the white background.  Anyway, Jess called for some pattern testers and I put my hand up right away.  I had wanted to make a quilt for my husband for our wedding anniversary coming up soon, and I really loved Jess's pattern as I thought it would be quite suited to more masculine fabrics also.
So, once Jess had emailed the pattern to me, I ordered a FQ bundle of the newly released Carolyn Friedlander Architextures fabric from Amanda and then started making this quilt. I decided to make the Lap Size of the quilt which measures  58 x 68". There are lot of squares to cut and sew for the quilt but the small scale of the Architextures prints was just right for the tiny squares. For the background I used a Prima solid in Coal which gave more contrast than the Ash that I was originally planning to use.
The pattern came together really quickly as the squares can be chain pieced to form the main blocks - the whole quilt only took me about 4 days to make! There are only four seams to match when making the blocks so they were quite easy, then it is just a matter of joining the blocks and putting the rows together with sashing to create the fabulous visual effect of the connecting squares. I only used just over half of the 17 FQ of the Architextures bundle so have lots left over for other projects.
This is Jess's first pattern for sale -she has written it extremely well and the diagrams regarding how to put the quilt together are very clear. Jess has this pattern written up in 4 sizes: baby, lap (as I made), twin and queen - and as Adrianne has done with her version of the quilt, it is easy to make modifications by adding or leaving out a row to make a slightly different size.
Jess is releasing the "Lucky Square" pattern for sale today so please hop over to her blog to see the other lovely versions of the quilt made by her team of pattern testers (AdrianneAlisonBrooke, Deb, Jess, KelseyMichelle, and Marla). 
Linking up with Plum and June and Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story (buttons in sidebar).
Kirsten.

23 comments:

  1. Wow, that came together quickly, weren't you just talking about starting last week? Looks great anyway, I'm sure your husband will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh yes I like this - very cool indeed qnd I love the fabrics you have chosen - perfect for a man quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yours is lovely too! (I just seen Adrianne's over at On the Windy Side!) It looks like a great design!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that came together quickly! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got to make one too, and I love that you used dark for your background!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt brilliant, what a fab pattern and architextures was a great choice, I bought some to add to a quilt for my son.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely gorgeous! Can't wait to see this one quilted up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks amazing! Great pattern to use for those fabulous fabrics! Wonderful way to mark your anniversary too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, it's gorgeous...you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfect fabric line for this gorgeous pattern. What a beautiful quilt you have!

    ReplyDelete
  11. gorgeous quilt! It looks great :-D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this with the architextures and the dark solid which really makes them pop!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is gorgeous! Love the colours you have used!
    Found you on the Plum and June Link up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks great! So masculine, yet so pretty to me! Hope your husband loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a great pattern, I love your version!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks beautiful. It is an amazing pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely quilt! And your fabric choice is great!

    Hugs,
    Tatyana

    ReplyDelete