Thursday, July 23, 2015

WIP Wednesday: Norway quilt

My love of craft began many years ago when visiting my grandmas during the school holidays as they were always doing sewing, knitting and crocheting.
When my Grandma Joan passed away a few years ago at 91 years of age, I was given much of her crafting stash, including this pretty bundle of solids which I am now making into a quilt - actually both of my Grandmas were named Joan so this will be made in memory of the two of them. 
For this special quilt, I am using the Norway pattern by Thimbleblossoms as I happen to have 9 solids in this bundle.
I recently made a mini Norway quilt to try out this pattern and it was quite easy to do - I did have a wee bit of trouble with the borders in the mini but luckily they aren't needed in the full quilt design :)
I am using this Denyse Schmidt Piccadilly fabric for the backing and I think both of my Grandmas would approve of the pretty floral print. I also have some pink shot cotton for the binding, along with a creamy solid and a chocolatey brown for the accent colour.
 I have already made the first block which only took a couple of hours to sew.
And I have all of the rest of the fabrics cut out and ready to sew whenever I can get a little bit of sewing time...

Linking with WIP Wednesday @ Freshly Pieced.
Kirsten.

7 comments:

  1. What pretty fabric for a pretty block!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What pretty fabric for a pretty block!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so organised. It definitely helps when you want to squeeze in some sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so organised. It definitely helps when you want to squeeze in some sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are always so organised Kirsten- the key to getting so much done, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This will be beautiful. such a tribute to your grandmothers too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This will be a special quilt, filled with memories. You look to have a very organised plan giving you every chance for a faster finish.

    ReplyDelete